Thursday, February 2, 2012


I grew up in a weird home, no this isn’t a blog about one of my brothers strange exploits, its all about the construction crew I call my Mom and Dad. You see they were real weird people.

Mom loved Daddy and Dad loved Mom. They would hug each other from time to time. They would support each other on decisions. No “go ask your mother” from Dad when we asked to go to a friends. He’d say, “Let me ask your mother”. He treats her like a queen. She would look at something at a store and he would say “why don’t you go ahead and get it?” because he knew she would want it later and he’d have to get out in the car and get it. She always cooked his favorite foods, ironed his clothes just the way he liked them, and stood by him through several heart “procedures”

What’s even weirder is they like each other. They traveled to Hawaii, the Caribbean and all over the Branson together. He made sure she had a good birthday last year with his boys help. She made sure he made it through his first few weeks of life shaking retirement.

What’s an even weirder thing? They love and like their 3 boys. I didn’t grow up in a home with abuse; I grew up in a home of love. I didn’t have parents who lived one way at church and another at home. They set the example. We were a fun, relaxed, loving, Christ honoring family. Don’t read that being stuffy or legalistic. Our friends wanted to come to our home because it was safe, secure, limit setting, caring. Jesus was seen and experienced in our home.

The more I work in the ministry the more I realize that isn’t the standard these days. I don’t know that it ever was the standard. Mom and Dad both grew up in families that were less than perfect. They both have all kinds of people to blame if they want to be nut bars. However, they chose to go against the trend of their youth. Love was a verb in our home. The Love that they still have for each other is because they love Jesus and honor him. Thank you Mom and Dad, you built more than a house, a home, you built me.

No comments:

Post a Comment